PARENT AND STUDENT APPLICATION ACKNOWLEDGMENT CONFIRMATION
[Spanish Version] [Creol Version]
All students applying for admission to SouthTech Schools must complete and submit a timely application. The Application is a two-part document consisting of a standard application form and an Acknowledgement document which attests that both parents/guardians and student are aware of specific conditions or actions required by the Charter School. The completion of both documents is a requirement for the application to be validated and entered into the admissions lottery process. There is an additional eligibility requirement for applicants with a 2.0, or lower GPA, and/or Level 2 or lower ranking on test scores in core subject areas. They and their parents/guardians must attend a mandatory orientation session and sign an additional Acknowledgment concerning participation in a remedial program to validate their application for the admissions lottery. Those applicants are not on track for promotion or graduation. The purpose of this orientation is to explain the requirement for participation in a mandatory rigorous, remedial program for students who are not on track for promotion or graduation, and to initiate the partnership between student, parents/guardians, and the school which is necessary for successful academic remediation. Applicants who do not attend the orientation session or who will not sign the Acknowledgment of the Remedial Process will not be placed in the admissions lottery.
The following are expectations for all applicants and enrolled students of SouthTech Schools:
- A commitment from applicants and parents/guardians to participate in a three year program of academic study and career education components for middle school students or a four-year high school program of study that culminates in earning a high school diploma and industry certifications.
- Acceptable Behavior: A behavior record that validates the student’s commitment to support and promote a safe school environment and a positive learning community.
- Acceptable Attendance: An attendance record that reflects the student’s interest in learning and willingness to participate in the educational process. Students with documented chronic health issues will be provided additional support to assist their diminished ability to attend school. Habitual truancy, however, will not be tolerated and will be subject to punishments provided under Florida Statutes.
- Academic Performance: Applicants and parents/guardians are hereby informed that Florida high school graduation requirements include a minimum of a 2.0 Grade Point Average and Level 3 ranking on Core Subject Area State Assessments. Test scores lower than Level 3 may also lessen the student’s probability of earning career education certification or licensure (a major emphasis of SouthTech Schools) as such certifications are based on passing rigorous subject matter examinations. For the purposes of this document, promotion requirements will be considered as the same performance levels as graduation requirements. Students must be willing to work and study diligently if they are to succeed in the rigorous academic and career education curricula provided by SouthTech Schools. Students will demonstrate levels of academic performance required to meet promotion or graduation requirements.
- Applicants who do not have the equivalent of a 2.0 or above Grade Point Average or, minimally, a Level 3 ranking on Core Subject Area State Assessments will be placed in rigorous tutorial programs which may include an extended school day, Saturday school, special mandatory homework, computer assisted learning activities, or other prescriptive remedial activities, according to need. An Individual Student Educational Plan (ISEP) will be created to document each student’s remedial program. Applicants and/or parents/guardians who will not make the commitment to participate in ISEP remediation will not be entered into the lottery process.
- An enrolled student who fails to maintain promotion or graduation requirements will be placed on an ISEP Plan.
- Failure to meet behavior, attendance, or academic performance requirements will result in escalating discipline and/or tutorial participation, including mandatory homework and other prescriptive activities, until the student is on-track for graduation.
- As part of this acknowledgement, parents/guardians are strongly encouraged to become members of the School Improvement Steering Committee and participate in the scheduled parent training opportunities.
Applicants and Parents/Guardians, before signing this Acknowledgment please ensure that you understand the commitment that you are undertaking by doing so. A successful applicant, who enrolls in SouthTech Schools, and the parents/guardians of that applicant, are acknowledging a commitment to a three-way partnership with the school to assure the applicant’s educational success. SouthTech School’s ultimate Mission Statement is to graduate students prepared for work, for higher education, and for productive citizenship. If you agree with this mission, please attest by signing below.